Do you ever feel like you are in a losing battle? I think I’m in one right now because Mother Nature has kicked it up a few notches. Actually, I wish she would turn it up a few notches. She’s really turned it down, and I mean down! The temperature as I type is a crisp and cold 11 degrees in Northeast Arkansas. In an effort to stay warm and not focus on the cold outside I’ve decided to list my favorite summer songs for you.
I love summertime. It’s warm…..OK it’s really hot, but I love it! The days last longer and time seems a bit slower. I could go on and on about why I love summer, but that’s another posting. Below you will find my top 10 favorite summer songs. Here’s hoping it helps take your mind off of the cold weather.
10. Summer Breeze by Seals and Croft, 1972: I was at a picnic the first time I heard this song and I always think of that picnic and flowing summer dresses every time I hear that song.
9. Endless Summer Nights by Richard Marx, 1988: I like his songs and his voice.
8. All Summer Long by Kidd Rock, 2008: What’s not to like about this song? The lyrics tell a great story and has an intelligent mash up from two other great songs — Werewolves in London and Sweet Home Alabama.
7. Summer Love by Justin Timberlake, 2007: It’s a fun song to listen to in your car with the radio up and the windows down.
6. Long Hot Summer Day by Turnpike Troubadours, 2012: I fell in love with this song the first time I heard. Full disclosure here: the first time I heard it was a 30-second snippet at St. Louis Cardinals game this summer. It’s one of Matt Carpenter’s walk out songs. Does it really get much better than a great summer-themed song at baseball game? I think not!
5. Cruel Summer by Bananarama, 1983: It’s great 80s song. Plus it’s fun. There’s something telling about a song that lasts decades and is still enjoyable.
4. Boys of Summer by Don Henley, 1984: I love a good story and this song is one.
3. Summer of ’69 by Bryan Adams, 1985: What is it about 1985? There’s really a lot of great stuff from this year including this song and Back to the Future! (Yep, I did it. I managed a Back to the Future reference in a post about summer songs. I’m that good. Ha!) Released in June of that year, the song written by Adams and Jimmy Vallance, tells a story of nostalgia and love.
2. Summer Nights by Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta, 1978: I discovered Grease and Grease 2 in junior high at a sleepover. Within a few weeks of that sleepover I knew the words to “Summer Nights” and all of the other songs. Admittedly, I can still sing the words by heart to this song and “Cool Rider.”
1. Summertime by D.J. Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince (A.K.A Will Smith), 1991: Nothing conjures a better summertime story that this tune to me. Smith’s soothing voice is just what I need to imagine the smell of fresh cut grass and the calming warmth of the sun.
Those are my favorite summer songs. I’d love to hear your thoughts on your favorite summer songs. Please stay warm and cozy in the crazy cold.
PS: The photos are from Henderson Beach State Park in Destin, Florida. I took them this summer while on vacation.